Sydney, Australia insight meditation and recollective awareness teacher Winton Higgins has made important contributions to the development of secular Buddhism. A member of the Tuwhiri Project editorial board, he has been a Buddhist practitioner since 1987 and is a senior teacher for Sydney Insight Meditators and Secular Buddhism in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Winton has a wide range of interests beyond meditation practice and secular Buddhism. He has written and taught on social democratic theory and practice, genocide studies (with special reference to the Holocaust) and standardization. The book and articles listed below include only his important contributions to secular Buddhism.
After Buddhism: a workbook
Published in September 2018, After Buddhism: a workbook is the consummate guide to Stephen Batchelor’s thought-provoking After Buddhism: rethinking the dharma for a secular age, providing a basis for periodic group and individual study of Batchelor’s text.
Articles by Winton Higgins
Most of the articles below can be accessed on Winton Higgins’ page on this website: http://seculardharmanetwork.org/category/winton-higgins/.
- A book review of Ron Purser’s McMindfulness October 2019
- Entering the tiger’s cave – insight meditation and the inner life part February 2019
- Secular Buddhism and the western search for meaning February 2019
- Mindfulness – looking for a quick fix? November 2018
- A dharmic understanding of evil June 2018
- The flexible appropriation of tradition (from the Journal of Global Buddhism 2017)
- Meditation and being a global citizen – dharma practice and solidarity in troubling times April 2017
- The dharma as a culture of awakening June 2016
- A secular approach to insight meditation October 2015
- An Outline of Secular Buddhism October 2013
- The dharmic foundations of the recollective awareness approach September 2013
- The sources of secular Buddhism September 2013
- Report back on the Barre, USA, secular Buddhism colloquium April 2013
- Secular Buddhism: scientistic versus interpretive March 2013
- Secularity, religion and being human August 2012
- The Coming of Secular Buddhism: a Synoptic View(from the Journal of Global Buddhism 2012)
Dharma Talks on Dharmaseed.org
To access Winton’s dharma talks go to: https://dharmaseed.org/teacher/169/